Wednesday, September 12, 2012

PHOTO SAFARI - Las Vegas Strip


"Taking pictures is savoring life intensely, every hundredth of a second." Marc Riboud




Last Saturday I did something sooo cool!  It was something I had never done before and never thought I would do in my lifetime.  

I’ve always liked photography, but just for the fun of it.  It’s has been a passion for many years - a passion without knowledge.  Taking a photography class has always been in my mind, but so far it hasn’t happened.  My camera is like a second wallet:  never leave home without it.  I shoot, shoot, shoot wherever I go.  Compulsive shooter - yeap.

Then my blog Lifedance was born.  And, as usual, I take chances.  I’m not a writer and now I have a blog and I’m not a photographer and I love to post photos to support my writings.  The funny part is that I constantly get compliments about my photos, but I am aware that I need to do better.  Consequently, I recently bought a better camera and joined a photography meetup.  Now I am totally in love with my new camera, except that I still don’t know how to use all its features.   

Ok, to the point.  Last Saturday I had the privilege of going on a photo safari with Garrett Winslow, a professional and well known photographer in Las Vegas.  Now, how cool is that? 

Garrett is the organizer of the meetup Las Vegas Photographic Society and he is also involved with The Nevada Camera Club.   He organized a photo safari including dinner at the fantastic Mexican restaurant, Bonito Michoacan.   At the restaurant he was going to teach a number of things about photography and from the restaurant we were going to depart on the photo safari.  Until Saturday, we didn’t know the venue for the safari.  Now, the best part.  He showed up at the restaurant with a male model.  Right there we learned that after dinner we were to go the strip for a photo shooting of the model. 

O h…m y… G o d!

And this is the amazing part.  The cost for the photo safari was only $35, which is a ridiculous low price for the dinner, class, photo safari…and now we had a model.  Garrett is not only an excellent photographer, he is a kind human being.

I had a major problem.  I still didn’t know my new camera well enough to follow Garrett’s directions.  But that didn’t stop me from having the time of my life.  The model, as you will see below, was a handsome young man and a sweetheart .  Garrett did a fantastic job.  We took photos, he took photos, we learned and the safari ran smoothly as we moved to the sites that Garrett had selected for the shootings. 

Below are some of the photos I took during the photo safari last Saturday.  I’m not posting the photos I took of the model because, you know, I don’t want Garrett to be jealous of my pics since now he has some competition. Ha! The truth is that I have no copyright on my pictures, so better not.







  

The photographer fixing the model.


I think my photo looks like a post card.  Maybe I have potential.  Imagine if I understood my camera.
I like this photo because I love "agua"






 My Super Heroes.

For anyone needing a class act photographer, Garrett Winslow is the man. Check out his website at Gwimagery.com.   Also, if you are a local and are serious about photography, I encourage you to join the Las Vegas Photographic Society meetup.

No comments:

Post a Comment