Thursday, October 18, 2012

LUNCH AT A GLUTEN FREE RESTAURANT


For about a year, I’ve been flirting with the idea of eating a gluten-free diet. I don’t have the celiac disease neither I am sensitive to gluten. I simply understand the benefits of eating gluten free and whatever is good for my body it’s worth a try. But for me, it would be very difficult to eat gluten free. First of all, I love grains. In fact, if it has flour or if it’s made out of grains, I like it. 

While I have been exploring with certain gluten free products like gluten free bread and gluten free cookies, it was not until today that I actually went to a gluten free bakery/restaurant. I loved it! Everything was fresh, organic and delicious.

The name of the restaurant is Red Velvet Café and it’s located on 7875 W Sahara Ave., Las Vegas. The owner is a Las Vegas native Cordon Bleu Chef. It’s a small bakery restaurant and it was packed at 1 pm when I got there. That’s always a good sign. My friends and I enjoyed everything that we ordered. I ordered the chicken with spinach wrap with artichokes, tomatoes, mozzarella and pesto. My side dish was a spinach salad. Oh yes, I had a good doses of greens today.



These days eating gluten free is gaining popularity. Finally, people are becoming more aware about the harms of gluten and the benefits of eating gluten free.

I don’t think I’ll ever be successful eating a gluten free diet, nor that is my goal at this time. But just by being aware of it, I have reduced considerably my consumption of grains, especially wheat. That’s a start. If I can eat 25% gluten free, that’s better than nothing. 

For some time, I wanted to go to this restaurant. I am so happy that I finally tried it today. From now on, this will be a weekly stop for me to have lunch or dinner.

For more information about a gluten free diet, please check the glutenfreesociety.org





No comments:

Post a Comment