Tuesday, May 15, 2012

TAI CHI CLASS AT THE PARK





Today I took a Tai Chi class at a public park in Las Vegas and I loved the fact that it was outdoors.  I had not taken Tai Chi for at least seven years. I took my first Tai Chi class in Los Angeles and the last one in Arcadia, CA.  My previous classes were always indoors. 


The class started at 5 PM.  Although it was a hot day, it was also a little windy, so it felt just fine.  And we did the class in a site with part shade.  


We were a small group of people.  About half of them had taken tai chi before and a few were taking the class for the first time.  I felt as if it was my first time.  


My previous tai chi masters in California were Chinese.  I knew that today the master here was going to be Anglo-american.  I arrived to the park a little bit early and he was already there.  I asked him about his background in tai chi and I was very pleased to hear that he has vast knowledge of all aspects of tai chi and other martial arts. He is also disciple of well known masters.


Before practicing, we did a few minutes of meditation to calm the mind and relax the body and then we proceeded with the essential postures.  


Tai Chi is a mind-body practice originated in China. This gentle form exercise is known to have a number of benefits like flexibility, balance, muscle strength, calmer mind, better concentration, just to mention a few.  And it's even considered a cardiovascular workout without the high intensity. 


Most everyone can do tai chi.  It's also a practice recommended for people suffering arthritis, heart disease, breast cancer, low bone density, Parkinson's disease, sleep problems, etc.


The best thing:  these classes are free.  And you all know how much I like that word.


It was a very enjoyable class.  I plan to do it again.  However, the master will be traveling attending tai chi activities and won't be back until June. Something to look forward to in June.


Centennial Hills Park
















No comments:

Post a Comment